UN High Commissioner for Refugees Graduate Protection Internship Programme 2017
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees Representation Office in Nigeria invites application from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position whose particulars are given below:
Job Position: Protection Internship
Job Location: Abuja
- Based in UNHCR Nigeria’s Abuja office, this internship offers a unique opportunity to gain experience in supporting UNHCR’s protection response in the context of the humanitarian emergency situation in North East Nigeria.
- It will provide insight and experience into the implementation of UNHCR protection interventions in priority areas and its leadership role coordinating the Protection Sector Working Group (PSWG).
- Follow developments in the protection situation in the North East Nigeria and provide analysis for protection activities taking place
- Draft or provide inputs to all necessary documents including reports, strategies, letters and speeches, etc.
- Assist the Protection Team with development of, monitoring and reporting on protection activities, including trainings
- Assist UNHCR in its role as co-lead of the PSWG, including by supporting the Secretariat, attending pertinent meetings (including meetings Sub-Sector Working Groups and other Sectors) and providing briefing summaries
- Perform other related duties, as required
- University degree in Law, International (Humanitarian/Human Rights) Law, Human Rights or similar fields
- Strong attention to detail, proactive approach, ability to work quickly under pressure and juggle multiple tasks
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and basic administrative skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical abilities and research skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills and interest to work particularly with NGOs and government institutions
- Understanding of humanitarian emergency response and cluster system
- Readiness to work with internally displaced persons, refugees and in humanitarian aid/international law/human rights disciplines
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNHCR. Costs and arrangements for travel including travel arrangements to and from the location where the internship will be carried out, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibilities of interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Method of Application
All qualified candidates should email their CV’s, motivation letter and completed P11 Form below to: email@example.com indicating “Protection Internship Application” in the subject line of the email.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
- The selected intern will be expected to begin on 19 June 2017 and be available full time for 6 months.
Deadline 28th May 2017.