All you Need To know When Applying to Join Nigerian Army
Most probably, you have many questions in mind that you will like to get answers to before proceeding to join the Nigerian Army. Here, you will get answers to most of the questions asked by you and many others like you. So, after reading this post, you will be equipped with the knowledge you need to make a well informed decision as to whether or not to proceed with your ambition.
Before we go further, it’s just necessary that you have some basic knowledge of the background and history of the Nigerian Army. You may be asked about it during an interview. Who knows?
A brief history about the Nigerian Army
A progeny of the Royal West African Frontier Force, The Nigerian army was established in the year 1960 with about 18,000 personnel. Having over 100,000 personnel as of present, the Nigerian Army is the largest division of the Nigerian Armed Forces, and it has its headquarters in Abuja. Its motto is “Victory is from God alone.” The head of the Nigerian Army is the Chief of Army Staff.
Now let’s proceed…
In this article, I will discuss the requirements for joining the Nigerian Army as well as how to go about the application process.
How to Join the Nigerian Army
Who is eligible to join the Nigerian Army?
To join the Nigerian Army, you must meet all the following requirements and conditions:
- You must be of Nigerian origin by birth. What this means is that you must be born in Nigeria to Nigerian parents. If you’re from another country or you’re a Nigerian by naturalization (and not by birth), then you are not qualified to join the Nigerian Army.
- You must be between 18-22 years of age at the time of application. If you are not yet up to 18 years old, you will have to wait a bit longer. However, if you are already older than 22, then you are no longer eligible to join the Nigerian Army.
- You must be fit medically, physically, and psychologically. That is, you must not have any persistent health issues or suffer chronic conditions like asthma. Neither must you have any physical or mental disabilities.
- You must not be less than 1.65 meters tall (men) and 1.56 meters tall (women). Yes, your height alone can truncate your dreams of joining the Nigerian Army. So, check your height now. If you are shorter than the values stated, then your dream dies here.
- You must be free of any criminal conviction. That is, you must not have been convicted of any crime – major or minor – at any point in the past. If you have been charged with an offence before, then you cannot join the Nigerian Army.
- You must attend the zonal screening exercises at the designated zonal centre for your state. Note that the zonal screening centre may not be in your own state, but in one of the neighbouring states. Only one zonal screening centre will be available for applicants from all states within a designated zone. So, get ready to travel if the screening centre isn’t in your own state.
- You must duly complete all forms and submit them at the examination venue on the date fixed for the screening examination.
What are the required educational / academic qualifications?
To join the Nigerian Army as a non-tradesman or woman, all you need are at least 3 credits including English Language in not more than two sittings (in WASSCE/NECO/GCE).
What are the documents you need?
If you meet all the requirements stated so far, that’s not all. You will need the following documents during the recruitment process:
- Photocopies of your birth certificate or age declaration affidavit
- Photocopies of your academic and professional certificates (including SSCE/NECO/GCE)
- A letter of identification signed by the identifying officer in “Section F” of the completed form (this will be printed from the Nigerian Army’s online application portal)
P.S: Note that you will be required during the screening exercise to produce the original documents and credentials as well as all scratch cards purchased.
How do you apply and register to join the Nigerian Army
Note that the application is done online. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Purchase a scratch card from the nearest branch of Unity Bank or Union Bank
2. Validate your scratch card serial number and PIN
3. Visit the Nigerian Army’s online recruitment (www.narecruitment.org portal)
4. Register by choosing your desired username and entering a password.
5. Login to the portal with your username and password
6. Fill the required information and submit your application. Don’t forget to print a copy of the application confirmation page