Company: Association of Rural Banks-Ghana
Job status: Full-Time
Job expires: 23 Apr-2017
The Association of Rural Banks-Ghana (North Chapters) with the assistance of both local and international donors is implementing a 3 year development program dubbed Promoting Microinsurance Services in Northern Ghana (PROMISING). The program seeks to build the capacity of Rural & Community Banks in the 3 regions of Northern Ghana to facilitate the distribution of insurances services to clients in their catchment area, there by promoting microinsurance as an alternative risk management tools for the informal sector. The program is currently in the first year of Implementation and seeks the services of a Programme Manager with technical expertise (insurance for the informal sector).
Purpose of the Position
The purpose of this position is to be responsible for the Coordination of the smooth operations of the project. He/ She will also be responsible for leadership and training of the PROMISING team as well as general administration which includes finance and human resource.
The Program Manager directly reports to the Microinsurance Steering Committee, represented by the Chairman.
• Provide over all management and Coordination of Programs, including finance and human resource.
• Work with the team to monitor project objectives, targets, implementation plans and prepare progress reports.
• Oversee the budget for PROMISING and work closely with the finance team of donors to ensure timely reconciliation.
• Provide technical input for the development of training and knowledge sharing activities, including developing or refining content and establishing and engaging with communities of practice or local strategic partners that are delivering or supporting delivery of microinsurance.
• Provide speacialized technical expertise and advisory services related to thematic areas (e.g. agriculture index insurance, microinsurance, claims handling, and marketing) for RCBs and other key stakeholders.
• Provide technical input to design, and participate in virtual or in-person external meetings, workshops training and seminars for RCBs and other key stakeholders.
• Develop and maintain relationships in support of market development and facilitate cooperation and knowledge sharing with microinsurance practitioners, consultants, regulators and other relevant stakeholders.
• Support the selection, placement, mentoring and capacity building of Microinsurance Officers of RCBs, volunteers and interns from external collaborators.
• Support fundraising, including identifying prospects, developing and presenting proposals.
• Support ad hoc projects in support of the programme’s main initiatives, as requested by Microinsurance Steering Committee.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Minimum of Master’s Degree in Development Studies, MBA or any relevant social science discipline.
• Professional certificate in Insurance at the Associate level (ACII) from the Chartered Institute of Insurance (UK) or the Advanced Applied Diploma in Insurance from the Ghana Insurance College
• At least 5-8 years of professional experience in the insurance or microinsurance industry or other relevant industry, with at least two years’ of experience working with informal groups, MFI’s, and rural banking environment.
• Experience with community development work an added advantage.
Excellent written and verbal command of English.
• Technical expertise in insurance targeting low income households.
• Effective communicator with excellent writing skills; able to develop and foster positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Team Supervisory skills
• Work in a multicultural environment. Strong computer skills including the use of word processing and spreadsheet software. Excellent trouble-shooting and problem solving skills.
• Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision.
• Mature, responsible and professional.
• Good judgment and sound decision-making skills.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills; ability to multi-task.
• Meets deadlines reliably.
• Detail-oriented and Team player.
• Able to mentor and inspire young professionals, newcomers and others within the field of microinsurance. Sound knowledge of socio-economic conditions in Northern Ghana, including knowledge of development principles, concepts and techniques.
How To Apply For The Job
All interested candidates should send a cover letter, C.V. and application addressed to the
Microinsurance Steering Committee,
MOFA Regional Building,
You can also email to:
Closing Date: 23 April, 2017